View Single Post
Old 01-25-2003, 02:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

To me, the entire 2nd side of the Jeremy Spencer Band "Flee" album sounds like the Rumours incarnation.

"Flee" sounds like it could be a Christine McVie song
"Cool Breeze" is the "Stevie" song
"You've Got The Right" is Jeremy's Monday Morning/Second Hand News
"Travelling" definitely has a Lindsey feel to it, too.

Knowing of Jeremy's penchant for mimic & parody, I have this theory that Jeremy INTENTIONALLY made side 2 to sound like the then current Fleetwood Mac incarnation. AND, that side one was his majorly tongue-in-cheek parody of the then happening disco sound.

After not listening to his Jeremy Spencer & The Children album for quite a while, I've been listening to it fairly frequently since I acquired the mp3s of it and burned it onto a CD-R. Despite the religious lyrical content (which don't seem nearly as "over the top" now as they did in 1972), the SOUND of the album is really great...he borrows heavily from the Beatles, CSNY, Jefferson Starship, early Doobie Bros, and the Bare Trees era FMac sound throughout. My two fave songs on it are "Can You Hear The Song?" & "War Horse". My only major complaint is that the production is a bit muffled.

As for his live material from either 1995 or 1998, I love "Bend In The Road" and "You Don't Have To Be Black To Be Blue"...plus, anyone who can nail the opening riff of "Johnny B. Goode" on SLIDE guitar, gets two-thumbs-up from me!

Of his Fleetwood Mac material, my faves are:
Shake Your Moneymaker
Allow Me One More Show
This Is The Rock
Coming Home
Dr. Brown
Buddy's Song
Blood On The Floor
Got To Move
Hellhound On My Trail (or the alternate lyric version "You're So Evil" on the Blue Horizon Sessions box)
Madison Blues
Mighty Cold (from the Vaudeville Years set)
Purple Dancer (well, he wrote HALF of it)

Last edited by chiliD; 01-25-2003 at 02:36 AM..