View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 05:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

My thoughts on TITN Deluxe

1. The remaster
The remastered album sounds great, even if it's not the ridiculous upgrade that Mirage and Tusk were. "Caroline", the title track, "Everywhere", and "Isn't It Midnight" are all standouts in this respect. Also I don't know if its the remaster or just my dumb brain, but "Welcome to the Room... Sara" feels like a whole new song to me and I appreciate it much more than I ever did before. I think I even like it! It was really fun revisiting Tango with closer ears, I realized I really love the instrumentals of every song (even the ones like Family Man and WISYA where I hate the vocals). It's so atmospheric, and the remaster really helps emphasize that aspect.

2. The demo disc
I was so dissapointed when I first saw the track listing for this a few months ago, but it turns out that all of this material is very interesting. While I don't care for the two b-sides very much, hearing them remastered has helped my appreciate them more (or in the case of "Ricky", just the instrumental).

The full version of "You and I" is great, as both parts always felt incomplete to me (duh). I was worried about how the bridge between the two would be done, since the two parts are so different, but it works really well! My new preferred way of listening to these two songs.

The alternate "Mystified" has a strange instrumental that I don't know if I like or hate, but the combination of vocals between Lindsey and Christine is fantastic. The instrumental track included is also pretty beautiful.

"Where We Belong" is a cool song and would've added a different vibe to the album if the verses had been worked out. Lindsey and Christine harmonize so well on this song.

"Ooh My Love" is awesome and blows TOSOTM version out of the water for me. It's got a bit more kick here and has a more traditional song structure and identifiable chorus. A little more polish and maybe another vocal take and it would be worthy of being on the album!

I like "Juliet" but can see why it wasn't used. It wouldn't have meshed with the polished album. The vocals are erratic and the backing track sounds closer to Tusk than TITN. It's great on TOSOTM though!

"Isn't It Midnight" is probably my favorite song from this album and this alternate version is great! The vocals are slowed down and Lindsey's fantastic backing vocals and the guitar have been ripped out for harmonies and synthesizers, but it's still a very interesting take. It may even mesh with the actual album better than the final track. The mix on "The Chain" boxset sounds like it's a combination of this version and the album version, and feels like a slog as a result. Overall I'm happy to have both this mix and the final mix on my shuffle!

I feel similarly about the "Seven Wonders" early version, an interesting take that changes the song's mood substantially but ends up being equal. I might even like it better. The added vocals at the end help with that, as well as the more distinct harmonies from Lindsey and Chrsitine.

I want to like "Special Kind of Love" but... I really can't. It's not awful or anything, it's just not grabbing me . Doesn't seem to have much edge to it (as if much of this album has an edge haha).

I wish "At the Fair" and "What Has Rock and Roll Ever Done For You?" (cheesy but still) had been included but I have a feeling these songs were worked on in the Mirror, Mirror/ Rock a Little Sessions and simply considered by Mac, so that's probably why they're not here. I also added "Eyes Wide Shut" and "Joan of Arc" to the track-listing myself to make it feel a little more complete

3. The remixes

Can't say I care about these too much. Extended "Little Lies" and "Seven Wonders" are perfectly listenable, as is the jammy "Big Love" remix/edit with the crashing keyboards. But four versions of "Family Man"... I barely need the original haha.

It's cool that these were included but I would've preferred a live disc from the '87 set. I know its not a popular show around here, but "Isn't It Midnight" (the live arrangement is one of my favorite Mac songs ever), "Stand Back", and "Seven Wonders" are fantastic from this tour and it would've been nice to see those tracks remastered as my DVD-rip sounds really flat. If they could find the whole set from the San Fransisco show, a good recording of "Brown Eyes" or something would've been cool to see.

Overall? I LOVE IT.