View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Everyone? Even Christine? In 1987? I thought she was mostly sober by that year, far from "chaotic".
Exactly. Lindsey never mentions how important she was to the process of making that record. She contributed great songs (as main writer but also as collaborator with Lindsey on songs he sang) and embraced the sonic aesthetic of the project. She could not have done this if she was dysfunctional. Her voice was in top form and her studio skills seemed as strong as ever.

I sensed she would have been even more present if Lindsey had allowed her to be. "Big Love," "Family Man" and "Caroline" sound like Lindsey recorded all the parts himself (excepting the African drum beats in "Caroline").

So, yeah, I don't know why Lindsey insists on downplaying her role in the production of the band's music. I sense he is protecting what he feels is his primary imprint on the Rumours-era lineup. But Christine never needed to ignore someone's contributions to prop herself up. Her insistence on being a "band" player as opposed to frontwoman is refreshing but rare.