View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
The speech was entertaining in the way it was expected to be entertaining--a rambling mess of improvised stuff. I bear no ill will on her honor, nor on her calling FM "her band" (they've all done that).

But I DID have some problems with the speech:

1. Lindsey is only mentioned in a passive-aggressively demeaning way: the pot smoking boyfriend who stayed home and worked on music while she waited on tables. (And in Harry's intro, his tenure as Fritz's bassist is mentioned but not his exceptional guitar abilities that developed post-Fritz.)

3. For a woman who has rightfully made a lot of noise about her being the first woman to be inducted twice, I bristled at the end of her speech when she spoke of her woman manager and how hard it is for her to take direction from anyone, "especially another girl."
Frankly, I was thrilled she even acknowledged Lindsey at all, even if it was just in passing. I didn't think her mention of Lindsey was passive aggressive, maybe dismissive is the more appropriate term. But I had no problem with Harry Styles or his speech, including his mention of Lindsey. Steve's induction was not the place where anyone was going to bring up Lindsey's incredible guitar prowess. And I don't recall Stevie saying in her speech Lindsey stayed home smoking pot, but in all fairness I was bored by her speech and may have missed it. If she did say that in her speech, that would be a more appropriate example of passive aggressive.

I really agree with #3. Saying 'girl' instead of 'woman' irritated me, plus the context in which she said it.