View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeets2000 View Post
This is pretty much how I feel, too. And it appears to be the way the writer of the Mojo article was trying to describe Christine as well: stuck between a rock and a hard place. All that being said, I do think her "better than what we ever had before" is deeply regrettable. It's just so unnecessary in this context.
that almost sounds like a line written by the band's management/PR. It's sort of the typical album/tour/project promotion bs "best we've/I've ever done" "we/I had the most fun of anything we/I have ever worked on" etc etc.. Until promotion for the next thing happens and then they say how awful or difficult or whatever the previous ("best thing we've done") project/tour was. So maybe once they're off the road we could hear even more of the dirt.... Kinda surprising they are even saying what they're saying now... But I suspect it's because they've just been consistently called out as liars for so long now. Plus, they've realized it won't hurt ticket sales so what the hell, why not admit it. Although you'll never hear SN admit it, because while it won't necessarily affect her ticket sales it will affect her ego and her obsession with her "legacy".

Really, though, legacy lives on through your music. If your music is really that impactful people will be singing it forever and it becomes "classic". Other than Landslide, her songs aren't covered very much. I think of the Beatles, and everyone from other rockers to crooners like Sinatra covered their stuff. Stevie's songs can be hard to sing if you aren't Stevie because they are sooooo specifically written for her range and style; when other people sing them them their monotony becomes way too apparent. Her *stage* performances and her *visual* image have been far more impactful to how other female performers present themselves. She used to want to go down as a great songwriter; I'm afraid that's not going to be her biggest legacy, in part because she blew it off.