View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness Fades View Post
I've always used Thomastic Power Brights strings. the 10-46 ones. Well, in an emergency last month i changed them to a set of ernie ball 9's. They sounded dead in comparison. there was no tone and i have to change them already. So I ordered the powerbrights with the Fender strap.

Ernie Ball strings, IMHO, are crap. They spend a lot of money on endorsments but the product is just bad. They take ages to stabilize, they are not smooth to slide notes on and they go off in days. Fine out of the box but really flat very quickly.

Gibson britewires are to be recommended although I found them to be a bit stiff to bend. They last ages though. Elixirs are great but the nanoweb coating gives my guitar dandruff when it peels off. D'Addarios are excellent and my usual strings. Thomastiks last forever. You can go 3 months with a set that would go off in a week with Ernies. Fender original bullets are the best for Strats, no good with other guitars though.

Thomastik Infeld or D'Addarios I would recommend.

Quote:

I use a Boss GT-6 for all my effects, and personally i am now starting to think that it sounds all a bit un natural and computer generated. Its over complicated and difficult to use. Im considering going back to basics and purchasing an analogue Distortion pedal and a bit of digital delay.
Welcome to the club!

I used stomp boxes for a few years and then got a Boss GT-6. Its great for setting up effects for a gig and changing multiple effects in one stomp. But they sound digital, dry and lifeless. I ended up only using it for practice and then it got dumped altogether.

Now I use individual pedals and the tone shines through. Short of having Pete Cornish build me an all tube effects board (I don't have £6 to £8K to waste and I'm not in Pink Floyd) then I'm happy with individual pedals. They sond real because they are real. It can't be replicated.

Quote:
When I eventually get my Compass Rose acoustic from Rick next year, I will also grab the D-Tar Mama Bear. The Dollar rate at the minute is amazing. I can get a D-tar for £145.
I'm gonna be looking forward to the strong pound against the dollar when I fly into Boston in a little while to chill with some of my friends. But I'm thinking its 1/2 price beer instead!