View Single Post
Old 11-19-2002, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default O/T

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca

A Spanish or classical guitar has nylon strings. A folk guitar is bigger and has steel strings. These steel-string guitars are by far more popular with rock, country and folk artists. "Spanish guitar" also refers to a style of playing, which derives from Flamenco, which itself has some Arabic influence. Compare the drama and movement of a Flamenco dancer with a belly dancer. You might notice some similarities. The Middle Eastern and North African influence is also detectable in traditional Portuguese music, called Fado, and in some Italian folk, particularly from the Mediterranean islands.
Speaking of which, I've been playing a lot of Paco De Lucia recently (or rather, I'm giving it my best shot!), I do believe that he is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. I very stupidly missed his performance in London last year, but I hope he plays again soon...I won't miss him again.

When you listen to him play, it kinda puts the abilities of some of these famous electric guitarists into perspective....his tone and fluidity are out of this world...