Thread: Crush
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2005, 01:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm very much like you... most of what I like isn't popular or is only marginally popular. And, of course, there are the artists I adore who were once popular, but would now be considered "has-beens."

I just listen to what turns me on, and I ignore whether or not anyone else likes it. (Well, ok, I will admit that I take pride in Fleetwood Mac/Stevie/Christine/Lindsey having a hit album or song... because, to me, it feels like the hometeam won the World Series.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
If it appeals to everybody, something must be wrong with it. Lowest common denominator.....
Well, I don't necessarily agree with that. Some songs are hugely successful because they're just so damned incredible, it's hard to not love them. And some very intelligently crafted, artistic and moving pieces of music have also had the good fortune of being adored by the masses.

I mean, I certainly don't think there's anything "wrong" with "You Make Loving Fun" or "Little Lies," or other massively popular songs like that.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that Fleetwood Mac has been monstrously successful, but I don't see that as a fault of theirs or their music. And, yeah, Stevie's had the more popular solo career, but to write off that music as simply appealing to the lowest common dominator (if that is what you were doing -- and you've made similar comments about her solo career in the past, so I don't think I'm necessarily jumping to conclusions here as to how you feel about her success), is to implicate Christine as well.
Especially when you consider she's had such a large number of hit singles. So let's not do that double-standard thing here.

Some popular artists stand apart from the crowd... the ones who are enduring, and who reach "icon" and "legend" status. They're popular, but their ability to reach mass audiences goes way beyond any appeals to the lowest common denominator. They have talent AND that... je ne sais quoi... and that's why they endure.