View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
With Lindsey at the helm, their five signature albums from 1975- 1987 gelled. Say You Will is the only other album he made with Fleetwood Mac, sixteen years later. Being that is was the first band album without Christine, it was essentially a Buckingham Nicks album with Mick and John being their rhythm section.

His production style had changed, so the album only has glimmers of the established Rumours-era sound. It's a different animal, but not an unprecedented contrast in the history of the band. Consider that drastic change of style between Then Play On & Kiln House, or Heroes Are Hard to Find & Fleetwood Mac.

Some theorize that Stevie was unhappy with how he produced her Say You Will songs. I think it has less to do with that, more to do with her contentious relationship with him. Stevie was in a gloomy mood then, dealing with the death of her mother. Lindsey's production style isn't stuck in Say You Will mode. The production on his duet with Stevie on Twisted gelled as song with a classic Fleetwood Mac feel. Stevie owes a lot to Lindsey for her success. And she should pull the stick out of her ass and inconvenience her precious self to take part in the final chapter of Fleetwood Mac. This is not the time to play the diva card. Grow up.
So Stevie was unhappy during SYW because her mother died??? Her father passed in 2005 and her mother passed in 2011 so I guess that theory is ( cue the "Starshine" music) WRONG!
I think bethelblues is saying that the direction LB wants the songs to go in versus the direction Stevie wants her songs to go in has not "gelled" in a long time and this may be close to the root of the problem. It may also be more than the LB production of her songs that she is unhappy with she may just not like the influence LB will have as a musician playing on her songs any more. Maybe she's tired of the LB sound and his domination of her songs. If Lindsey would just simplify things and rock out once in a while like he used to.( An excerpt from the 17 Reasons This 'Rhiannon' Clip Is the Coolest Thing in the Universe thread "And Lindsey playing the Les Paul sounds so much more rocking than his Turner") Is LB capable of just playing the part and making Stevie happy or does his ego get in the way? Why does LB always have to be in charge? They're Stevie's songs why can't she have them turn out the way she want's with out a WWIII protest from LB? As you have pointed out "Consider that drastic change of style between Then Play On & Kiln House, or Heroes Are Hard to Find & Fleetwood Mac" so change is nothing new to this band so why not let her shake things up a bit?
And sorry but if Stevie is standing up for her songs from a creative standpoint then she's not a diva.
If Stevie wants nothing to do with LB being involved with her songs and is refusing to work with him in the FM environment period then that is a major problem.
As a business man and co-owner of the Fleetwood Mac corporate empire I don't think there is any chance of Mick parting ways with Stevie and giving up a substantial portion of his future income just to get one last record out.
If the new album becomes a major wall between Stevie and LB and it were to get to the point of one of them saying "Either he/she goes or I go" which one will Mick choose?
Whatever happens it will be fun to watch.