View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
probably because she didn't work it as hard as Stevie did. Like it or not, one of Stevie's greatest talents has been networking inside the industry and working her image. She worked to create a visual image so that people who don't know her music well still know her visual image-- the capes, the top hat, the sexy necklines (in the earlier days), the tambourine etc. She herself identifies with this stage image so much it is the logo of her personal stationery. Her tumultuous personal life has made her a regular in the pop culture/gossip columns-- the breakups within FM, drug use, her high profile romances, etc etc etc. Now the 90s saw how much her physical appearance played a role in her career-- when she got heavy a lot of the casual fan base turned on her, and many of the pop pundits. She knew it. And she worked to get back.

Pat went off the radar for a while having a family and all that. She doesn't seem to have the singular or narcissistic drive that Stevie does. Pat seems to pander to her husband's ego by giving him co-billing and that sort of thing, and that has probably hurt her career too.

So there's a hella lot more that goes into success than just talent. One of Stevie's talents has been keeping herself in the news. Important.
You can love Pat or hate Pat but false statements about her make no sense. Stevie worked harder than Pat? Oh hell no. While Stevie worked hard, she also played very hard and also was very lucky to get invited into a super group.
Pat did slow down when she had kids but her work ethic was insane. From 1979 to 1985 she released a full studio album EVERY year and toured. Pat also had to deal with things that Stevie never did. Because Pat was a solo artist, good looking, and trained in Opera, no one took her serious.
Stevie had lots of help.