View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyman10 View Post
Adding to my misgivings about them working together again is the fact that I really didn't like Soldier's Angel. However, I at least disliked it in a better way than the way in which I disliked what he did to her songs on SYW. So maybe there's hope!
I know you wrote a lot of other stuff, but this had to be addressed: didn't Dave Stewart produce this track and Stevie write it? LB played guitar and added his vocals but if you don't like the song it shouldn't be pinned on him. I think it's an OK song myself. Nothing that engaging. But I certainly wouldn't say it's because of Lindsey. I actually don't really like Stevie's voice on it.

Quote:
think that on IYD Stevie sounds the best she's sounded since the Wild Heart and I think the reason for it is that she's found someone to work with who makes her feel like what she can bring to the party is equal to what they can bring. I think that was the basis of her working relationship with Dave and it is not something she has ever experience, except fleetingly, with Lindsey. That's why I worry that she'll go back into her shell if he gets on board producing her work again.
That's a valid concern. I guess it's up to Stevie to be an adult and manifest her concerns in words to LB. I wouldn't place all the blame on LB because Stevie isn't heard on TITN or you didn't like the way he produced her songs on SYW. If they are in a band, and she has known this man the way she claims to know him, than she should have said something if SHE didn't like the way she was being presented on the latter album. That's my opinion. I personally think her songs were very average, so I personally barely listen to any of them on that album aside from maybe 3 at most.

But perhaps an outside producer would work best then. I honestly don't care as long as Lindsey is there and I hear new Lindsey stuff. He's the source of my fandom for this band, I will not pretend otherwise. I love Stevie within the vicinity of early FM, and particularly Tusk. She's wonderful there, but I have never been fascinated by her solo stuff at all. Having her box set, I will agree the new album is certainly her best material, though she has had some gems throughout. But as mush as people complain about LB's lack of bringing anything new to the table solo-wise, how exactly has Stevie done so? Her music has that same meandering quality, mid-tempo wixed with the occasional rocker. I think perhaps in her lyrics? Maybe they have grown throughout the years, which is great.

Quote:
Solo Stevie has always sold more records than solo Lindsey, but LB fans never want popular tastes to be a measure of quality (they're right, of course). So maybe that makes IYD even better!
Well, I'm not suggesting anything about "popular" am I? I was simply saying I played the album in my car on a road trip with my friends. They're NOT LB or SN or even FM fans. I had both IYD and SWS and they couldn't get into IYD at all. They couldn't stand her voice, while my friends who always mock LB thought SWS was rather impressive. I can say that, now, both of them are still claiming it's Lindsey best album.

On an aside: I do love to give examples like the above because, as you said, Stevie is and will ALWAYS BE the more popular of the two. It's just a fact. But when I see my friends being impressed by Lindsey and recognizing his incredible talents and brilliance, I have to gloat a little. He deserves it, considering all he has accomplished. Just as, for you, Steve deserves this new career resurgence. I personally don't care if LB works with FM or continues to do his solo stuff. He has continued to impress me with his albums and his live shows for years and I will happily accept whatever direction he moves in.

Also, I completely agree with YOU on the entire matter of money and LB/SN. I think it says enough with all the varied and lengthy reviews and attention LB received on his recent album- despite hardly promoting it to the extent that, say, SN promoted hers- that he isn't quite on the same level of anonymity as your average indie rocker/band. I think he loves that illusion of being an artiste with a compelling vision- and I respect that he STILL has a vision, even if it's one he's molded for himself. But the talk of money and whatnot is rater silly in the context of people releasing music who actually need the money and those who do it because they still have something to prove. I think the latter is true for LB and, sure, FM is a security blanket to allow these ventures to happen in the consistent way they have thus far. But maybe less money talk and comparisons to artists that don't have that type of security right?...I gotcha!

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL

Last edited by Nico; 10-05-2011 at 11:38 AM..