View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 12:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Both albums are great, but I love 'In the Meantime' more. It is intimate and personal, as if Chris and her band are playing in your living room, without concern about commercial success, with Chris singing from her heart. The 1984 album sounds more muscular and I think impersonal, as if they were going for hits, as if they were trying to sell copies, as if they were playing to thousands of people in an arena.

"Calumny" is one of Christine's greatest vocals ever.

I think I first heard about the album when I discovered the old Christine McVie website. We had a very friendly message board there, with just us Chris fans sitting around drinking tea and chatting amicably about music.
agree about the whole vibe of this album being intimate and personal. I'm less a fan of the George Hawkins co-writes, but love the opening run of Friend, You Are, Northern Star and Bad Journey. I can skip Anything is Possible but Calumny is fantastic and I like So Sincere... I want to know who is this man in the funny little white car with the broken light who never could be right for me........

Something about that song feels so appropriate to me going into this time of year.... I grew up in the Northeast with very distinct seasons, and that song reminds me of early autumn, when the days get shorter and a chill starts to creep into the air... the song makes me feel like it's Sunday evening around dusk, the sky is getting darker and the windows of the houses have that yellow glow of the lights turned on.

After that I kinda of tune most of the remaining songs out.