View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
There's a blues undercurrent to the album, from the title to opener "Jefferson Jericho Blues" to something more indefinable and haunted in the shadows. If anything, Mojo hews close to the blazing blues-rock of early Fleetwood Mac.
"I love Peter Green! He's one of my idols. I could listen to Peter Green all day. And that's very much what I had in mind on a lot of the [new] stuff. I wanted to get a sound that mixed up say the Chicago Chess stuff and John Mayall, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, early Jeff Beck Group. These were records I played to the engineer a lot before we began the project," says Petty. "I told him, 'I want the guitars right up loud, as loud as the vocals when [Mike] plays,' and I think we succeeded at that. Mike's just amazing. He really stepped up and did his part."

Campbell is right out front on Mojo. It's a refreshing change of pace and perhaps a chance for folks who haven't paid close attention the past 35 years to discover just how tremendous a guitarist Mike Campbell truly is. Often he's an extremely tasteful, subtle, respectful player, working into the muscular of the music rather than riding on top.

"I tried to kinda drum that out of him [laughs]. It was like, 'Okay, let's show 'em what you can do. Just rip and have some fun.' He never let us down," enthuses Petty. "I've known Mike and Ben for so long and they still amaze me. I couldn't dream of playing with anyone else."

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/Stor...?storyID=23022

This is very cool!! I've noticed the past two years on Sirius/XM's Tom Petty show that he has played a lot of Peter Green FM or Mayall/Green songs. His 2006 30th anniversary concert from his documentary DVD featured a dead-on cover of "Oh Well" (the Boston Tea Party 2/70 version with the extra solo).