Thread: Unexpected FM
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2019, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
well.... not entirely. It's kind of a classic Chris theme of being in a relationship with a man who isn't treating her as well as she deserves. And during the Tusk period that was definitely Dennis Wilson. He was a known cad, he was totally unfaithful to her (which she knew and put up with. I get he was very charming, and possible very good in bed but....), he mooched plenty of money off her (even that famous heart shaped garden he had dug in her backyard she paid for because he had the bill sent to her.. .. even though it only got half done), got wasted and trashed her house (stories of him and his buddies destroying antiques and chandeliers and things) trashed her vehicles (didn't he crash her Rolls?).

I don't hold you down
And maybe that's why you're around
But if I'm the one you love
Think about me
You are so correct. Many of Chris's songs are love themed but not being treated that well from the guy. Even in the love inspired "Say you love me" she throws down the ultimatum of "if you use me again, it will be the end of me" Songs like Over My Head, Never Make Me Cry fit that theme very well.
Then there are those songs like Ask Anybody where she is torn between love for someone and the way she is being treated.