View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Beumont Enterprise

Classic rock fans welcome Fleetwood Mac rocker to Orange
By Sarah Moore

Published 10:12 p.m., Sunday, August 19, 2012

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/ne...#ixzz2472pmdm4

After years of traveling with what he called "the big machine" of Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey Buckingham has pared things down.

Going from a 10 piece band to later working with three other musicians, he appeared as a solo act Sunday night at the Lutcher Theater in Orange.

"One could make the assumption that the small machine is getting smaller," he joked to the large (although not sold out) audience.

For fans like Ryan Carroll, one was enough.

When he heard Buckingham was coming to Orange, he knew he would be there to hear him. If it meant standing outside the theater playing for the concert goers with his guitar case open for spare change to get the money for a ticket, he was prepared.

The 29-year-old Vidor musician hadn't even been born when Fleetwood Mac was in its heyday in the '70s, but he feels their music has stood the test of time.

"I'm a huge Fleetwood Mac Fan," he said. "Lindsey Buckingham is one of my guitar heroes."

Carroll said he felt Fleetwood Mac owed its success largely to Buckingham, who he called "heavily underrated."

He was also happy to be able to see the iconic musician so close to home.

"The sound in here is just absolutely incredible," Carroll added.

Buckingham, lead guitarist and lead male singer for Fleetwood Mac, featured songs from his recent album, "Seeds We Sow," opening with the song "Castaway Dreams."

The crowd that showed up to welcome Buckingham to Texas was mostly 40 and above, such as Clyde McKee, who attended the concert with his wife.

"The best music ever was in the '60s and '70s," he said. "Today's music doesn't have the same soul."

Some, like Dick Dickerson, said he was more into musicians like Bob Dylan and the Moody Blues back in the day.

"I like Fleetwood Mac okay," he said. "They're a little after my time."

Dickerson, the Lutcher Theater archivist, said he wouldn't have minded seeing the full band play and hearing Stevie Nicks sing.

After his second song, Buckingham spoke briefly to the crowd.

"Thank you all for coming out tonight and for being part of this little experiment," he said. "It kind of makes you my guinea pigs."