View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I think it's OK ...

... to talk about this, if someone wants to. I wouldn't bring it up myself, but that's only because I'm a saddo who's read every single post in the Ledge archive, so I know how much everything has been talked about already.

My own opinion is that none of us need to explain to each other why we're drawn to any artist or their work, and likewise we don't need to agree on whether liking somebody's work means that you must take a view on their lifestyle. You're free to do that, but you don't have to.Let a thousand varieties of SN fan bloom, I say.

But, as I'm here, and I *am* one of those people who finds SN's whole life quite fascinating, here's what i think (don't read on, if you don't care!):

1. The Vox article might be tasteless, but I strongly suspect it *does* report what she said.
2. Saying what I just said does imply that, for me, she has said out of her own mouth that she's had four terminations.
3. SN's history as a serious, serial addict makes this sort of scenario not just possible, but likely.
4. If male rock stars could get pregnant, we'd soon see how much of Stevie's experience in the 70s and 80s went with the territory, rather than because she was egregiously irresponsible.
5. I'm sure I read somewhere (can anyone remember this?) that Chris opted for sterilisation - perhaps exactly because she'd seen what Stevie went through with DH. But SN, I guess, always wanted to leave herself the option of having a child later, and with that went the risk of 'later' still not being the right time when she found herself pregnant again.
6. I suspect, having said what I just said, that there never was going to be a 'right time' for Stevie to go through with a pregnancy. In some ways, her whole artistry - perhaps even her personality - seems to be based on holding irreconcilable opposites in permanent tension (which is why she contradicts herself all the time, too ...)

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say. Lunchtime!

Loz (aka JM10)