Thread: MacNuggets
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It only takes one listen of “Landslide” when you’re just a pup bouncing on your daddy’s knee, and you’re forever after a loving lackey to anything and everything that flows out of the God-given larynx of Stevie Nix. Apparently, I’m not the only one still listening to Fleetwood Mac some twenty years after said childhood epiphany. Recently trolling Pitchfork interviews for life advice from relevant indie musicians, I happened upon a Q and A with Cut Copy‘s founder Dan Whitford. Asked what artists may have influenced the sound of their forthcoming record Zonoscope, Whitford replied “I was obsessed with Fleetwood Mac’s Tusk while working on this record.”

This shouldn’t come as a surprise to long time followers of Cut Copy, as Whitford and his eventual band-mates routinely mixed Fleetwood Mac songs into some of their earliest released sets, a feat that immediately endeared the group to my ears. An example of this is provided below in the track labeled “Funk.” For some super-spooky funk, Ray Park Jr. style, fast-forward to minute 8:30, and for a mix of Fleetwood Mac’s “Never Forget” (off Tusk) skip to minute 29:40.

But as Whitford surely won’t deny, Fleetwood Mac continue to show up in their sound, and in much less obvious form than a direct sampling. The bass line of the band’s recently released single “Take Me Over” bares a strong resemblance to the low-frequency bounce of Fleetwood Mac’s “Everywhere” off their album Tango In The Night. Cut Copy’s single also displays an obvious affinity for another famous down-under dance-pop hit: Men At Work’s “We Come From A Land Down Under.” Give a listen to all these great tracks below, and see what kind of recognizable similarities spark in your creative lobe.

CLICK ON LINK BELOW TO HEAR THESE TRACKS

MP3: Cut Copy – “Funk”
MP3: Cut Copy – “Take Me Over”
MP3: Fleetwood Mac – “Everywhere”
MP3: Men At Work – “We Come From A Land Down Under”

http://allthingsgomusic.com/cut-copy-zonoscope