View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 03:08 AM
Ledgie

thank you

when I think about the sale of that particular guitar, my mind goes in several places. It is after all just a guitar, as evedinced by it being broken in a car crash. I get the sence that PG bought it to emulate Eric Clapton when he was using it with Mayall. In Martin Calimis's book it is said that PG was not happy with the play of it. His modification is perhaps the most famous one, even if a mistake. Back then good guitars were hard to come by. Yet on that instrument he produced, to my mind some of the most inspired, pieces that have been played. Was it the guitar? No. When I first heard him play little Walters "Last Night" on Fleetwood Mac in Chicago. I heard the most simple yet elequent song. As a musician, I have played that song ever since I bought the record 35 years ago. Love that burns just boils with unresolved tension and anguish......
When you look at other musicians wth guitars it is hard to identify them together. While Eric Clapton is known for Blackie, Fans say he played his best and blusiest when he was with mayall long ago. He used a 59 Paul then. With Cream he played the SG and the 335. While you can go on ad nauseum about cream, how many good songs were ever done. They had very little material. Otis Rush Played with anything he could get his hands on. Unfortunatly his greatest years saw little recording. BB King has had how many "Lucilles"? Most of his hits were done on a variety of guitars.
The truth for me is that for a period of time Mr Green played that particular guitar and "the muse" or "god" or whatever it is channeled through some of the finest musical pieces played on record. The very avarice that drives the price of that instrument has more to say about our society than its worth.

I even wondered because of the timing, if gary moore used some of the money to seed Peters sanctuary. Hope springs eternal.