View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 11:10 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
But I made no such comment qua comment. Instead, I commented about bragging: publicly announcing that you have no intention of sharing what you have. It's an entirely different issue from someone who merely decides he won't or can't share. I have no problem with the latter; what a person does with his stuff is none of my business.

If I had something I wasn't going to -- or couldn't -- share, other fans would never know. (At least, I'd like to think so.) But if I went around to all the message boards & newsgroups just to chirp, "This never-released Stevie Nicks album is amazing, but you'll never hear it," other fans would be fully justified in thinking me a horse's ass.

Is this distinction between stances clear? I hope so this time, because my comments are so invariably misunderstood, & I'm certain the problem isn't my verbal skills.

It seems there are a lot of misunderstandings in this thread.

First of all, I don't know about any members related to this band who have publicly stated that they have no intention of sharing what they have

The incidents I thought you were refering to were the ones that dissention commented on in their post, the Peacekeeper sampler and the Big Yellow Taxi cover. If you were talking about Javier in your original post I would have no way of knowing that because as far as I could tell, Javier is interested in getting this music out there at some point. I also see a big difference between a fan stating "I have something and I'm not sharing it" and the situation with Javier. That's my opinion.

You also stated in your original post

Quote:

As far as I'm concerned, clips are fine -- or no clips at all, or whole songs, or even pretty pictures of people's houses with the juniper tree in the front yard.

Have there been other members of FM or artists associated with this band who have publicly stated they have something everyone wants but don't want to share it? If there are I'm not familar with it and I didn't think that's what you were talking about in your original post that I responded to.

Quote:
The thing I've never particularly cared for during my decades of collecting & watching others collect is the nonsense of announcing you have something but can't, or don't intend to, share it. That's actually a better description of carrot-dangling. (In fact, some of us have an even more colorful term to describe that, but using it would be to flout the FAQ.) If you have something you know the rest of the fans would love to have but you have no intention of disseminating it, announcing it is bragging about it. Our parents & teachers were supposed to have taught us at very young ages that bragging is not nice. I remember a nice young lady a couple of years ago got involved in some sort of silliness over an unreleased Lindsey Buckingham song that was up for bid on eBay -- for whatever reason, the announcement was made here on this forum that the song would not be shared, which, as anyone would guess, resulted in a lot of resentment & flaming. People justifiably felt at the time, why was the announcement made? What good did it serve? The answer was obvious: it feels great to the person bragging. But it's not nice. It's rude. Things like this used to happen on Usenet, too. Fans had this or that & didn't want to or were bound not to share the stuff, but went ahead & chatted merrily about it anyway in a public forum ... to the extreme & justifiable annoyance of others.

I thought there was one issue of Javier's songs and how or when or if he would be able to release them, and fans who brag about having things that other fans want but they're not sharing it.

I also agree that fans bragging about having things they're not willing to share is wrong.