View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I'd have to agree with you. And I think, contrary to popular belief, a large portion of Stevie's own fanbase doesn't necessarily feel that she's the greatest songwriter of all time either, even if she's their preferred songwriter.

All things considered, Stevie's fanbase is probably the most critical overall.
But that doesn't fit into the stereotype that folks like to perpetuate.

The reason Stevie is so much more popular than the other two is this:

1. She was considered a sex symbol. (this has nothing to do with music)
2. People (mostly women) but some men...related to her witchy, hippie Janis Joplin like stage presence. (she was excellent at entertaining the crowds). They ate her up, dressed like her, talked like her, danced liked her, started clubs etc etc

Combine these two elements and you have superstardom.

Now having said that, I think she has written some really good music. Is she the greatest of all time? Hell no.. but either is Christine or LB... And quite honestly, I never thought Bob Dylan was all that fantastic either. He wrote some phenominal songs and some really horrible songs. (funny both Stevie and Bob have irritating voices later on in their careers)

It's all pretty subjective...

Now if you want to talk about the best composers, let's go with Jeff Buckley or someone that does more than I V IV. otherwise it's all just radio hits to me.