View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 02:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i love this record + i think its brilliant.
i did not catch the craig fisher show but i really loved the rendition of not too late
on craig ferguson.

nothing has happened to Lindsey.
you just have extremely mainstream expectations for an artist to make music that you want to hear.
artists don't work that way.
forget about Under The Skin. You don't "get it".
he doesn't have any interest in making suburban Top 40 music anymore.
and that's why I love him.

why would he have any interest in signing with a "popular" label?
look at Warner's roster. aside from Neil Young and Fleetwood Mac, it's mostly garbage.
the only reason Lindsey is still with WB/Reprise is because he's had a career-long relationship with them.
he would be a better fit on an indie label.

as much as i love Out of The Cradle, some of it has not stood up over time. the production is a tad late 80's and overwrought. i don't think we'll have that problem with Under The Skin 20 years from now. it's timeless. and i think song for song, it's his strongest collection of songs.
when i first heard Shut Us Down on the Elizabethtown soundtrack, i thought to myself, "wouldn't it be amazing if he did a whole album like that. i think he's done it, almost anyway - with the exception of Down On Rodeo and Cast Away Dreams.
Lindsey has been making this kind of music since Tusk. You just seem to go for his more commercial side, which i find tiresome.
Go Your Own Way - snooze.
Don't Stop - eyeroll.

put on your copy of Rumours or Go Insane and go back to the 70's or 80's or 90's or whatever you think this music should be about.
this rest of us will keep encouraging Lindsey to move forward and make new sounds.
i can't think of anyone else from Lindsey's generation that is still making such vital relevant important music these days. Bob Dylan. Bruce Springsteen. Emmylou Harris. Anyone else? Can't think of anyone right now.
Thankfully he didn't take the easy way out and did cheesey nostalgia.
I say - move forward and open your mind. Look what happened on election day. We finally stopped buying into the mainstream. Now we can move forward.

Last edited by dontlookdown; 11-18-2006 at 01:24 PM..