View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I just never could buy the fact Stevie is waiting around begging someone to talk to her so she can lift their spirits. I think the vocal is ok but the "you can's" are just too sappy for me. At least the live version she drops that part. I could compare Talk To Me to Everyday. Simple pop songs brought to an album for commercial thinking only. IMHO it was total sell out by Stevie Nicks. I know I will get flamed for saying that
I see your point, especially about the idea of Stevie begging someone to talk to her. I remember Stevie herself making similar comments about feeling that way with Reconsider Me. Something along the lines that she would never ask a man to 'reconsider' being with her (I'm paraphrasing, of course).

With Talk to Me, I never felt like she was begging someone, but rather she could see someone was upset about something or hiding a painful secret, and she was really just reassuring them that they could trust her. In that context, she's not a weak woman begging her man to work it out, but rather she's a strong woman saying no matter what they're hiding, she can help them. Small difference, maybe, but that's how I take it. May not make you like the song any better and that's cool. We all have our favorites, and some of my favorite Stevie songs I'm almost embarrassed to admit I like (Unconditional Love, for example), while other classics that everyone else seems to love, I could do without (Gold Dust Woman, ugh).

I listened to RAL in my car this week, and I loved it! It's incredible how much Marilyn Martin adds to the background vocals, and I love how Stevie's vocals and runs and inflections are on so many of the songs, but especially on Imperial Hotel, If I Were You, I Can't Wait, and Talk to Me.