View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting article about Stevie and The Vagina Monologues. I was heavily involved with this show during college and I had to grapple with the fact that for its time, the show was/still is revolutionary in many ways, but it is by no means inclusive of what it means to have a vagina. When I directed the show, I hoped to elevate the source material with unexpected interpretations so that it continued to be progressive and not exclusionary. If anyone wonders why women of color or trans people might shy from auditioning, it's worth noting that it only specifies one monologue for each demographic. I feel that anyone involved in the show has an obligation to choose the best person for the role, aware that the best person might not audition if they think there is no space for them in the show!

It is true that Stevie and other so called "white feminist" artists are home for many people in the same demographic, but IMHO the show is supposed to make people a little uncomfortable in order to expand their horizons. It is about moving past that which is foreign and uncomfortable in order to discover a safe space within. Therefore I think they should have tried a little harder to find empowering music from more than one genre of artist.