View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I find it really hard to believe that most people would seriously read that comment and come away with "Stevie Nicks thinks women have to look so beautiful, to the point of being called goddesses for that beauty, in order to earn their rights." It seems really super obvious to me that she is saying that she would make it clear from the way she carried herself that she wouldn't be walked all over. It's utterly nothing I can't imagine someone not named Stevie Nicks saying.

She's clearly talking about attitude with that comment. I've posted that comment a few times on my Tumblr, none of the people who have reacted to it thought she was talking about looking like the patriarchal ideal of beauty, and maybe about 10% even care about Fleetwood Mac.

Yes, "goddess" implies superhuman and feminism isn't about women being superhuman, but in the context of an industry and a culture like rock and roll (in which it's not just fine, it's fun to debate which male star is a god ... and then go spray paint it on alleys ...) who really begrudges her that? Making a mountain out of a molehill IMO.

Last edited by redbird; 03-18-2013 at 11:10 AM..