View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
didn't know she championed Norah Jones, interesting.

i may be easily wrong but she seems to publicly champion women who are on the top and don't really need a champion (Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Reese Witherspoon come to mind), not anybody who's struggling (kick-her-why-she's-down Lindsey Lohan).
Stevie's almost always supported up & coming female artists, like Louise Goffin, Sandy Stewart and Marilyn Martin. But I'm sure that, in a lot of cases, she doesn't really get to know some of these women (like Norah Jones) until they've already gotten their foot at least partially in the door (she wouldn't really have much of an opportunity to be introduced to them prior to that).

But I really can't think of many artists for whom the notion of "Girl Power" is as important as it seems to be to Stevie. Rather than treat them like "the competition," she praises other female artists and embraces them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i think Lady Gaga is the opposite of Stevie Nicks. now there's a woman who was apparently told no and shown the door plenty of times because she was "not pretty enough" to succeed in the industry where looks are more important than talent.
A fact which actually strengthens Stevie's point -- in the 2000s, after all the inroads made during the '70s & '80s, female artists are still being told they're "not pretty enough," instead of being signed on the merit of their talents.