View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default The reason? ... many

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Dear Jeremy,

I am actually interested it both what happened to you and Peter. I was a 17 year old "Bluesman" (( I thought, anyway) growing up in Brooklyn. I became a fan of the band just as Peter left the group. I did not even know that. I first saw the band when you played at the Skating rink in central park on what was to be your last tour with the group. I loved the show but was aware that there were a lot of drunk people in the audience (more so than the usual pothead psychedelic crowd)
Later on that year I happened to be taking a subway train into the city and somehow struck up a conversation with a fellow passenger. For whatever reason I mentioned that I was a fan of the band that had just self destructed (I thought) I related that both you and peter went off to find god or something. The person responded that he was actually going to Manhattan to join up with the children of god and that you were with them and were going to be playing somewhere. Being a brooklynite, I got suspicious of who I was talking to and backed out of the conversation. I have read various things and stories of that time but there is nothing like first hand accounts to get closer to the "truth" If you could shed any light on you or peters thinking or what you or he said during that time at least I am interested. I also was really curious about the religious "musical" or something project you were supposed to be collaborating on. That would be during the "Tommy" and "U a Pop Pantomime" period.
with respect and admiration,

vinnie c
Okay, Vinnie, I'll answer some of this the best I can at the moment.
Yes, I left to find God but realised that God had already 'found' me, (I was never lost in His mind all along, He just woke me up to that fact).
The incident you mentioned must have happened in 1972, as by that time I was living on the lower East side in one of our loft communes, and we did do a gig in Central Park. It was good.
A stupid question. Why would being a Brooklynite make you suspicious?
Anyway, yes, Peter and I had discussed doing something musically on Jesus' life. I merely mentioned it to Nick Logan, a New Musical Express reporter at the time and it made big news, for which I got a lot of flack from the rest of the band.
A year later, Andrew Lloyd Webber et al beat us to it!
Okay. Hope that suffices somewhat.
Thank you for your interest, Vinnie. Did you see my private message reply to your note?
Sincerely, Jeremy.