View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, I just saw RESIDENT EVIL: EXTINCTION & I didn't think much of it. It all looked like a commercial for Gillette hi-tech razor, because all the men had afternoon shadows & all the women had some hair in their armpits. Even the zombies were growing a lot of facial hair. The film also had the usual amount of unbelievability (guy being chased by zombie birds runs to the safety of a bus, but instead of hauling his ass through the door & shutting it -- which is what a real person would have done -- he stops for a few moments in order to turn around & fire off a useless round or two at twelve gazillion birds) & cartoonish action (chop-suey fighting with zombies until one smart chap finally had the brains to get a flame-thrower).

These dumber-than-dumb action flicks always use the same color palette, too. Have you noticed? Everything is the same steely-gray & two or three shades of abiotic green.

The film is also a barrage of film references: THE BIRDS, PLANET OF THE APES, DAWN OF THE DEAD, MAD MAX, THE MATRIX, ALIENS, TREMORS, & on & on & on & on. But not a single reference was deft or clever. I think there were more references than zombies at one point.

This stupidity was directed by Russell Mulcahy, who used to direct videos for MTV (including Fleetwood Mac's GYPSY). His filmography tells an interesting moral story: He has never made a decent picture & shows no signs of ever doing so. Who gives him money?

moviekinks.blogspot.com