View Single Post
Old 05-06-2017, 03:49 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Was Blondie as popular as Fleetwood Mac back in their heyday? These days I'd say Debbie Harry is pretty comparable to Stevie in terms of ~~icon~~ status with each of their respective "images" being a big part of it (you could even say she's more popular depending on who you ask; some pictures of her, like the ones by Warhol, are extremely famous) but Fleetwood Mac is a MUCH more popular band. I'd wonder if Blondie could even fill an arena these days.

Blondie were/are much bigger in the UK due to the number of hit singles they had, Stevie, for example never charted well in the UK, in or out of the band. True FM had big selling albums here but so did Blondie (Parallel Lines was the biggest selling album of 1979, the year after it was released and the same year their next album, Eat to the Beat went to no. 1). Fleetwood Mac still sell out concerts here very well but are much less relevant given their setlist hasn't changed since about 1987 and the music they do sell is either greatest hits or reissues. In that respect, Stevie is a lot more relevant and productive than the band and her last couple solo albums did relatively ok here given the almost complete lack of promotion. She probably just needs better management/representation in the UK and she could sell a lot more. I hope this Buckingham/Mcvie record is good but I'm more looking forward to 24 Karat Gold 2 if it happens. Blondie also played Glastonbury twice since reforming, something the greedy Mac haven't done because of their fee demands (and I think it's clear to everyone now which member is pushing the price up!)

Last edited by porkpie; 05-06-2017 at 03:52 AM..