View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think of Christine promoting Meantime. I am sure Lindsey's many 30% more room comments had not eluded her and that's why she said that she really hated guitar solos. I don't think that was true, because Dan had a lot of guitar in her album and it wasn't particularly good. I just think she was taking a jab at Lindsey because he had taken some at her. The thing is, Lindsey wasn't necessarily putting guitar solos in her songs. He was always doing something fiddly with them to be sure, but he used many different sound effects. Everywhere, Little Lies and Hold Me strongly exemplify this. He didn't just jump in and say, "I'm going to slap a guitar solo here." His input was varied and complex. Although, when he did put down a guitar solo, I don't think Christine minded. YMLF.

Michele
In that interview she said she didn't like soloing for soloing's sake but she liked guitar parts. Most of Lindsey's guitar work, like Danny Kirwan's after Green left, is set pieces, actual pats that get slight variations in live performances. I don't think she was taking a jab at Lindsey at all. She was alluding to guitar-heavy rock (she even simulated a guitar wail with her voice to illustrate). That kind of rock is closer to Led Zeppelin which Bob Welch said she hated. Of all the Mac Guitarists, I think the one that comes closest to the kinds of solos she was alluding to was Bob Weston, who was prone to free form extrapolation in the live shows (both Welch and David Walker mention Weston's extensive soloing in their Q and As). In other interviews, Christine has said she loves the sound of a good guitar.