View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I was just thinking that I need to go out and get a Delaney & Bonnie album and have a listen to them - my only exposure to them is through a couple of YouTube videos and if I remember rightly they are on a Clapton album or two that I have...
Rhino had a decent comp that's sadly OOP. It was good, but there were better songs they could have chosen, and sadly no unreleased goodies. If you can find it cheap, go for it. But I've seen them go for more than the cost of the entire CD catalog (only one album isn't on CD).

Accept No Substitute, usually considered their classic, or Together, their swan song that also has their singles and some bonus solo tracks, are probably good starting points, though any album is great. Home is a classic Stax album that was actually on Stax and features Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn, Booker T., Isaac Hayes, et al (get the one with bonus tracks if you decide on this...The previously unreleased version of Long Road Ahead is just a monster). Motel Shot is an acoustic album that features Dave Mason, Gram Parsons, Duane Allman, and Joe Cocker. On Tour With Eric Clapton is a live album that features Dave Mason and George "Mysterioso" Harrison. To Bonnie From Delaney has a mostly different crew, but is still a good album and features the original God Knows I Love You, which was covered by Bekka & Billy.

Clapton's first solo album was essentially a Delaney & Bonnie album, only with Clapton on lead vocals. Derek & The Dominoes was Clapton with Delaney & Bonnie's backing band. Also of note are Dave Mason's Alone Together and Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen, which either feature D&B or their band.

THE Stephen Hopkins