View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I disagree. As the old saying goes- caveat emptor. There is nothing on the ticket that guarantees you a standing spot in front of the stage. All it guarantees you is a seat located in the front row, which is exactly what this woman got. Nobody put a gun to her head and forced her to fork over $900 for that ticket- the idiot got what she paid for.

Personally I think this is a shrewd move by the band, and it is nothing but a goodwill gesture towards their fans. As word of this policy becomes more widespread, people will be less willing to pay scalpers huge sums of money for front row seats, thereby discouraging scalping significantly. It definitely levels the playing field between the haves and have-nots. Furthermore, I'm sure they are sick of looking at bored, disinterested rich old people sitting in the front row throughout the show with their arms folded.
Ok, let me clarify. Caveat emptor. Sure. If she knew that she had to beware of anything. Maybe if she had been told by security of the procedure, she would have hauled her ass up to a spot at the stage. She may have thought they would clear everyone out before the show started.

I don't think that you should have to get to a show way early (like you would with a GA show) if you have a front row ticket. You should be able to arrive 15 minutes before the show and have an unobstructed view. Hence, the reason why I said they should not let anyone up until after the first few songs. That way, if you know it's coming, and you're there before the show, you will be in the spot you want to be in before anyone else is allowed up front.

I don't pay scalpers. But I work hard for the tickets I get. I spend a lot of time on Ticketbastard looking for seats and waiting for drops. Time is money, so... My comment wasn't meant to say that she should have more privilege than the person who paid face value. It was meant to say that anyone with a front row seat, no matter how they came by it, should not have to worry about having someone standing in front of them. Unless they are sitting. That is different. I am of the opinion that you can't expect to stay in your seat and be able to see if you are sitting on the floor.

Maybe it will discourage people buying from scalpers - a little. And I appreciate that the band wants to have fans up front. But if that is the case, maybe they should just have a GA section on the floor. That way everyone knows what they're getting into. And knows they have to be there early and that they are not guaranteed a spot.