View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
o borrow your position that Stevie's selling power changed from 2007-2017 because of AHS and whatever else you mentioned. Couldn't FM ticket sales benefit from the AHS, Glee, Guitar Hero, GYOW in commercials even without Stevie in the lineup?
yes. Stevie's selling power did change in a decade, mainly because of AHS. there is always a difference from decade to decade and sometimes even from year to year.

if Lindsey released OOTC soon after he left FM and before the grunge era started, that record would have had a very different commercial path. and FM in the era of punk (Tusk time) was already an uncool establishment dinosaur and viewed differently than in the era of Rumours. years that pass and events that happen in between, some that band members have a hand in and others that are completely out of their control (punk, grunge) all influence commerciality.

i was watching a Deep Purple doc on AXS the other day, and Ritchie Blackmore was discussing a difference between popular, commercial, good musicianship, and being able to fit in the popular culture of the moment. i wish i remember how he expressed it, it was interesting.

considering the difference in just 10 years (2007-2017), just think how both SN's and Fleetwood Mac's brand has changed since 1994 - 2020, 26 years?
and imagine how it changed since their tiktok newfound fame? they all sold their publishing (Mick recording rights) for tons of money since then.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"