View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Post Independent

http://www.postindependent.com/news/...od-vito-summer

The fourth season of the Glenwood Springs Summer of Music kicks off today at Two Rivers Park, with the classical guitar stylings of former Fleetwood Mac lead guitarist Rick Vito. Jazz Aspen Snowmass Summer Camp opens the evening at 6:30 p.m., followed by Vito at 7:30 p.m.

This multi-genre, free community music series will take place every Wednesday through July 30, rain or shine.

According to his website, Vito is a Grammy-nominated guitarist and performer who has been active in the music industry since the 1970s. He worked as a solo artist, songwriter, session musician and as a band member for John Mayall, Bonnie Raitt, Bob Seger, Jackson Browne, Roger McGuinn and many other Rock And Roll Hall of Fame artists. He is best known as a member of Fleetwood Mac from 1987 to 1991, and more recently as the frontman for the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band. Vito is also the recipient of the W.C. Handy Award, presented by the Blues Foundation to foster blues heritage.

“I joined the Musician’s Union when I was 16 and was playing semi-professionally through high school and college at clubs and fraternity parties, etc.’” Vito said on his website. “Two things happened around the time I turned 21. First, I was invited to come to New York City [along with my friend Rick Valenti] to record some demos with Todd Rundgren. The result was that a song we wrote, ‘Can’t Live Without Love,’ made it on a James Cotton Blues Band record that Todd produced.”

And though he found success in music in his teen years, Vito first discovered his passion for music at an early age, while playing his mother’s guitar.

“I started fooling around with my mom’s old Oahu Hawaiian acoustic guitar when I was around 7 or 8, after seeing Elvis and also Ricky Nelson with James Burton on TV,” Vito said on his website. “The next Christmas I found a little Stella acoustic of my own under the tree. Guitar was a natural instrument for me, and I’ve never put it down since. I don’t read music but I also play a little bass, ukulele, drums, harmonica and some very bad keyboards.”