View Single Post
Old 11-21-2014, 01:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have dozens of crates full of albums I've collected over the decades. I cherish them, but they weigh a ton when you have to move them, and I have moved at least a dozen times.

I'm stunned that vinyl has come back in vogue, especially with a younger generation who grew up in the digital age. A large music store I frequent has two stores back to back - one with CDs, and the other with just vinyl. It's heaven to me.

The amount of vinyl being issued now is astounding. The artwork is so alluring; along with vintage artists, there are so many obscure bands and artists whose music is being issued and reissued on vinyl, and the imagery is intoxicating. These albums are like visual/sonic works of art.

If I had a super-sized wealth of money, I'd be amassing a large amount of these platters. Unfortunately, vinyl is super expensive, being commensurate with smaller lots and increased quality. I have only several new albums on vinyl -- Stevie's new album, Aimee Mann's last album, and The Mamas & Papas infamous "toilet cover" first album. I would love to have Tom Petty's and U2's new releases, as well so many others.

Aside from the warmer tones, there is an increased intimacy and investment to the music when you can physically hold it in your hands, pouring your eyes over the accompanied imagery, lyrics and liner notes. You give the music more attention; receiving it as a complete body of work. You learn to accept, and maybe come to appreciate songs you might otherwise quickly dismiss. They might never be your favorites, but they are part of that family! It's a very different concept and experience from listening to random, hand-picked songs on an ipod.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 11-28-2014 at 10:59 PM..