View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 05:08 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hello everyone:

New poster here but have been lurking for some time. I wasn't sure where to post my comments but this thread is as good as any.

I've been a FM/Stevie fan since 1975 when my parents brought home the FM white album. I've seen FM on the Mirage, Tango in the Night, Dance, Say You Will, and On With the Show tours. I've seen Stevie on Wild Heart, Rock a Little, OSOTM, Enchanted, Millennium, TISL, one of the Vegas shows, whatever the 2007 tour was called, the 2010 show in Lake Tahoe, and thankfully 24Karat.

After the 2010 Lake Tahoe show, I told myself I would never see Stevie Nicks in concert again. Boring short setlist with covers of Bob Seger and Tom Petty, going through the motions, might as well have called it in from her home. I said the same about FM after the lifeless Say You Will tour, filled with canned speeches and Stevie praying for each show to end . The only thing that got me back to see them was the triumphant return of Christine McVie.

When I saw the setlist for 24 Karat tour, I almost fell out of my chair. After years of Stevie practically insulting her fans - and herself - with pathetic setlists, she pulled together a gem of a songlist. I was fortunate enough to be Boston for work during her Nov. 15th performance and scored a 12th row ticket. It was a performance of a lifetime. To see her come out to Gold and Braid, doing what the hell she wanted, genuine smile, made my heart soar. I relished every word of her long stories. I found myself screaming out "thank you" after nearly every song, particularly Wild Heart/Bella Donna and Moonlight.

To think she would bring out Wild Heart, Bella Donna, Gold and Braid, Crying in the Night, somewhat obscure songs from In Your Dreams and 24 Karat and not be afraid to drop Dreams (although she did Dreams in Boston), Landslide (although it's back), Sorcerer, enter Tom Petty song here, Break the Promise, Rock and Roll, all those painfully boring songs from the tours of the last 10-15 years blew me away and gave me new love and appreciation for someone who has meant the world to me my entire lifetime. The only song I could do without is Enchanted but if sitting through that is the price to pay for this remarkable show, so be it.

I think that Stevie Nicks is at the top of her game. She is confident and doing what she wants. She is giving her longtime fans a priceless gift - a long, stunning show that brings out the best in her. I have been thinking about that Boston show for months. If I had the money to travel and see other performances, I would have. I remain extremely grateful I had the opportunity that I did.

I couldn't care less if Stevie recorded with Fleetwood Mac. The magic of that band ended decades ago. I'm sure Lindsey and Christine are recording some good music but the essence of the band that resulted in the brilliance of the white album, Rumours, Tusk, some of Mirage, and maybe a tiny bit of Tango is long gone. The Dance tour was amazing because of the reunion aspect - same with On With the Show. I would gladly go to a final tour show for the same reason. But that's the reality. Thinking that FM would put out some kind amazing album when the 5 of them have no real connections any longer is wishful at best.

Yes, Stevie's comments that she won't record with FM because no one will buy the album are annoying. They are annoying because they aren't the truth. The truth is that she doesn't want to record with them and she has every right to do whatever she wants. Lindsey bailed after Tango, Christine bailed after the Dance, and Stevie can bail now. She should just be honest and say she doesn't want to record but is happy to do some tours for the fans. However, I don't care what Stevie says. I care what she does. And what she's been doing on this tour - is pure magic.

Last edited by Buster; 03-19-2017 at 05:13 PM..