View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Ledgie

Nice to hear some amp geek talk!

Judging by live pictures it seems like Peter, Danny and Jeremy used a bunch of different Fender amps over the years. Early pictures shows Peter with a Vox amp, probably an AC50 or the bass version called Foundation Bass. Then , according to Jeremy, Peter got a Fender Bassman amp and cabinet. I've seen pictures of Danny playing through a blonde Fender head, probably a Bandmaster, but there's also a picture of him in the Blue Horizon Box, playing through a blackface Super Reverb. Then of course they had the ORANGE Matamp period. Late '68 to about mid '69. Shrine ´69 is probably the best recorded example of the Orange amp sound, at it's best! In late '69, early '70 Peter and Danny got Dual Showmans with separate speaker cabinets. Somebody told me that Peter used 12" speakers while Danny used 15" speakers. Jeremy used Twin Reverbs, also with extension cabs. When Peter quit, it seems like Danny and Jeremy kept on using the Fender amps. At least it sounds like that on the "Madison Blues" live box. When Bob Welch joined Danny moved to Hiwatt (and Orange) amps, according to Bob himself. Bob played through Fenders. I guess they didn't want too similar tones. A Strat for Bob, and a Les Paul Black Beauty for Danny. Those were the days!!