View Single Post
Old 04-06-2017, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
While I'm ecstatic in finally having crisp, clear sounding versions of the complete "You and I", "Ricky" and "Book Of Miracles", I can't help but be a bit disappointed and underwhelmed by this Deluxe Edition, at least compared to the three AMAZING sets we've gotten in year's past. All the demos, outtakes and alternates aren't very interesting to me personally, ESPECIALLY the Nicks outtakes. "Ooh My Love" is one of my favorites from TOSOTM, but sounds horrendous here, as does the "Juliet" run through. If these were the best "takes" culled from the Masters, I'd hate to hear what the others sounded like. Chris and Lindsey's outtakes are sub par to my ears as well...but the "Mystified" Instrumental is definitely a keeper.

So now I'm having buyer's remorse for shelling out a bunch of money for less than five songs that I'm happy with. LOL! Well, that AND the liner notes and pictures. Such is the curse for being a "completionist"!

I don't care much for the music videos and 12" remixes. And I don't hear many nuances in the remastering process with the actual album itself. Not that it matters. "Tango" is my least favorite "Rumours-Era Line up" album anyway. I'm just looking forward to a DELUXE 1975 WHITE ALBUM now! They've GOT to do one for for that one, right??? (Again with the "completionist" anxieties...)

I guess I'm in the minority in regards to the Deluxe Tango, huh? Is anyone else out there unimpressed with this one? I can't be the only one.

And (as always) this is just my opinion.
When the release was first announced I was sort of flamed here by stating there was not enough "new" or unreleased songs that would make a re-release special. I knew they would never release any live songs without Lindsey. In some strange way, the re-release is about as exciting as the original release in my book. There are definitely some great songs and special moments. However they are way to far between in my book. The Tusk re-release was out of this world with unheard live tracks and different versions of the songs. Mirage was decent but no new live tracks. The HBO concert can only go so far.
One interesting thing about Tango is that its considered to be the Mac's second most successful album (I would question that because the Dance went to #1 and sold just as many copies I believe). However, the album only sold 3 million copies in the United States. In 1987 for an album to have 2 top 5 singles and 2 top 20 singles that is actually poor sales. In the late 80's they changed the way album sales were tabulated and album rankings were also changed. If you remember the Garth Brooks/Motley Crue controversy (if you are too young google it). Tango peaked at #7 which tells you sales were sluggish. Please don't flame me I am not knocking the album or the sales. I am stating that the sales were bleak compared to radio airplay vs other artists. It no doubt was a hit album and a success but it did not attract many new Mac fans. The songs got airplay and intense heavy play on MTV but people were not flocking to buy the album. It only sold just over 2 million copies in the late 80s and took until the year 2000 for it to be certified 3x platinum.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-06-2017 at 05:11 PM..