View Single Post
Old 10-28-2002, 09:34 AM

"Murrow" is an excellent song with the kind of frantic urgency that Lindsey used with great effect on some of the "Go Insane" tracks. I love it and I only wish Lindsey had gotten political much earlier. We especially need these views to get aired now, considering how absolutely crazy the state of politics has become. (Check out Steve Earle's new album, "Jerusalem," for more of this.)

Having said this, I believe that "Murrow" would be a poor choice of first single. One of the prettier songs would make sense. I am thinking of "Down on Rodeo" or "The Singer Not the Song." I doubt "The Singer Not the Song" will make the album, however. As for other pretty songs like "Say Goodbye," I just don't see today's radio audience taking to that, certainly not as a first single.

Most likely the first single will be a Stevie Nicks song. She will have lead vocals with Lindsey in the background. This will be purely a business decision. The label execs know the public is better acquainted with Stevie's voice, and as we can see from these boards, she is the most popular member of the band. Remember what happened with "The Dance." The label would rather release two old songs to radio, "Silver Springs" and "Landslide" than one of the new songs. That "Bleed to Love Her" wasn't a single still bugs me to no end.

Lastly, don't be surprised if the first single contains guest vocals from, say, Sheryl Crow or Natalie Maines. It's just the kind of thing the label might force on the band at a time like this.