View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sadly, this is what the music business has come to nowadays. Buckingham McVie and Fleetwood Mac are just one of a growing list of live acts whose stage shows are about 50% backing tracks. This is why the setlist can NEVER be changed nightly or mid-tour. Yes, they are lip synching to certain portions. No, they are NOT playing ALL guitar and piano parts and it's completely obvious. Nope, there's no cocaine or other energy inducing drugs up there. Perhaps only a glass of wine or half a joint to calm the nerves.

I suppose the only way to defend this backing track crime is to accept that these folks are in their 70's (or nearing). We must all ask ourselves a question. Can ANY of us over the age of 40 do things with the same energy and fervor that we did at 25? Now imagine yourself with the aches and pains of a 70 year old. Playing guitar and keyboards requires extensive and repetitive use of the hands. NEWSFLASH: 70 year olds often suffer from arthritis and members of The Mac are not superhuman. Add to that the additional wear and tear that they've placed on their bodies over the years through extensive travel and drug/alcohol abuse. I'm just going to accept that, if I want to see these folks climb their bodies up on the stage, they're going to need some assistance and accommodation (much in the same way that my elderly father uses a walker). This assistance comes in the form of backing tracks. We will probably only be able to enjoy MAC shows for another 7-10 years. Let's forgive, overlook, and make the most of it.