View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Heart Wild Heart Show 37 years later

June 28, 1983 was my first concert ever. Joe Walsh and Stevie Nicks. I had just turned 13 and went with my parents lol.

What a wreck of a concert. Everyone remembers their first concert in a big way. I really enjoyed it but remember being unnerved by it. I remember my dad asking me if I enjoyed it after we were walking to the car. I did enjoy it but it was unnerving to witness someone so out of control. Clearly Stevie live was not the Stevie on video. I remember the press writing horrible reviews on the concert that it appeared Stevie's band was as confused as she was and did not know what song to play next. Stevie starts the concert and sounds horrible as if she just woke up. Then after GDW, she mumbles something like "nothing can make me feel better than I was feeling about 10 minutes ago." Did that mean she was ill, does it mean she got bad news. She carries on but exclaims a little bit later she has been through worse in her life and will get over this. However she never says what is bothering her. Then she starts acting strange on stage and keeps going to Benmont to whisper things in his ear. He picks up headphones and is listening to the concert as it continues. Stevie then stops the show claiming she cant hear anything. They rearrange the floor monitors and continues on. She is still singing as if she just woke up. Then she starts rearranging the floor monitors herself. Eventually she sings out of Waddy's microphone during songs. There are good moments of the show but for the most part she is high, drunk, and disorientated. She does get her usually playfulness in those days. Clearly not her best performance. I listened to the Philly show which was the night before and she is game on. She is pretty much flawless and always joking with the crowd. What could have turned the next night into such a disaster? Did her and Joe stay up all night and perform without sleeping? Did Kim call her out and demand a divorce (she announces she is divorcing the next month on E.T.). We may never know. But its pretty remarkable that 37 years later you can hear the show and all the missteps. Its hard to understand her rambles sometimes. I remember the radio commenting that she was not well and seemed dazed. The local radio station interviewed Joe before the concert and he was stone drunk at 5pm.
So that is my Wild Heart Story 37 years later. Not sure why but I always remember the date as if it was an anniversary or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0RaEPU2G6M&t=199s