View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Christgau might be the (original) source for the Stevie-Christine dichotomy in his review of Rumours:

There is also a salon.com review of TISL that discusses this. It says that Christine has the solid vocal, the skills as a musician, the strength, while Stevie is the one in fluttery shawls, but Christine's lyrics beg, while Stevie's lyrics take command. She is Rhiannon. She is inaccessible. She is the one who leaves, not the other way around

Of course, you and I can think of exceptions to both of these rules that the Salon.com writer might not have the catalog of FM knowledge to know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I disagree with Christgau. To me, Stevie's songs signify a far more delicate emotional state--she can't get over Lindsey and she keeps the battle going
And I always feel that Christine's lyrics have an edge to them and are not as light as they sound. With Say You Love Me and Little Lies, for instance, I do see her in control, because she's letting herself be lied to. She does not believe that guy when he says that he loves her. She just wants to be wooed through the night. Doesn't mean that she denies the truth in the light of day. Deceive me for a little longer, until I'm ready to let go. I'll give you license to mislead. To me, that kind of gives her the power. It's not just please love me (although she does say that too in Why, for instance).

Then, I think of a song like Think About Me was written, knowing that you have Lindsey there. So, she's singing, oh yeah please think about me every once in awhile, if you can spare me a little minute. Whereas Lindsey comes in whooping and DEMANDS to be thought of. Hey you, I'm here and you better acknowledge it! The song lyrics have to be interpreted through the reading they're given and that reading isn't passive. Through the duet and the contrast between Lindsey and Christine's vocals, I think we are seeing both sides of Christine's personality, both readings of her lyrics.

And when I think of SYLM I wonder, why is the phrase, "say that you love me" within the song and the title is just "Say You Love Me." Obviously, the four words make a better, catchier title, so that's probably why. But in my head, I answer myself that it's because the title is a directive, an order and the lyrics within acknowledge that he said it. He said it, even if he didn't mean it. But if she knows he didn't, she's not being used.

Michele