Thread: OOTC Tour 1992
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 12:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I think everyone is partially right on this one. Lindsey definitely changed over the years.

But the narrator states the tour was "costly." That is polite language to mean by the time Lindsey paid his big band, hotels, travel, etc, he made no money.
yup, there's no doubt that Lindsey and his priorities and preferences changed drastically over the years.

there were some interviews with him where it was pretty clear that taking everything into account he must have lost tons of money on OOTC tour and was definitely disappointed with how that time.worked out. clearly at the time he and his record co were hoping he'll be a commercial success as a solo act, and when that didn't happen it must have left a sour taste that needed a while to go away. remember, he wouldn't even play any OOTC songs on solo tours forever, however much people were asking him. took a number of solo tours after that, and a Solo Anthology, for him to finally fully embrace OOTC songs and perform them on tour.

remember when he first toured UTS, how happily surprised he was how much he liked it and how well it was going? he kept adding legs, that tour went on over several years. so i think after disappointment of OOTC tour (which was from all and every account fantastic one tto see, i wish i did!), he set completely low expectations for UTS tour and ended up being really really happy with the reception, how it went, and how much fun he had being on the road and playing his new material. GOS tour lasted barely over a month though, because there was FM GH tour already booked for 2009, so GOS tour had to be squeezed in.

One Man Show in 2012 was the first solo tour where Lindsey actually made money. it started as just him, guitar tech and a sound guy, with rented cars + u-haul for equipment. although as the tour went on and was profitable, it expanded and they added tour managers, drivers, and merch people - and even some cheap m&gs for random dates. 2018 tour was his first solo tour since then (so much wasted time with FM GHs tours! at least we got 2017 BuckVie), and considering BuckVie tour made money, and there they traveled in FM style, i have no doubt that 2018 solo tour where they traveled in buses / more down to earth way was profitable (remember all those on-stage jokes about band members doing their own laundry?), plus he did m&gs too, as you noted.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"