View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Well, it's weird. I met Bob face-to-face a couple of times in the '70's (during his Paris era) and it was just a kind of "nod & smile" thing. (first time, he & Glenn Cornick were sitting directly in front of me at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, they were in the 2nd row center, me the 3rd. They must've come directly from the photo session for the first Paris album because that's exactly how they were dressed) The next time, Paris played some really small club in Redondo Beach (couldn't have been more than 200 people in the place if THAT...I was in the 1st row right in front of Bob. When he'd go into one of his stories mid-song, he'd look at me, I'd nod & respond. I was kind of his "go to" audience member when he'd ask his rhetorical questions from the stage. Oh, and a 3rd time, in the early '80s, he played Bogart's nightclub in Long Beach with Avenue M. A friend of mine's band opened for them and they called me up to sit in on their final number. While coming off stage, since there wasn't any dressing room there, Bob & band were just congregated off to the side of the stage. As I walked by, I just said "Hi, Bob" & he nodded and gave me a thumbs-up.

It wasn't until his Q&A here that we really kind of 'connected'. After that, we kept in email touch quite often, but never got to meet again in person.
And as I've told you, my biggest Bob regret was that after he and I had had a few exchanges on his site~and I'm in Nashville monthly(actually just bought a condo there, 3 weeks ago)~ that it was always my dream to invite him and Wendy out to dinner, and just talk music with them...

But I'm a chickensh*t of sorts. I was afraid that it might have been too much to ask, so I never did.

Then, driving home from Nashville, I saw the news where he'd committed suicide. Kind of a surreal moment for me, knowing that I'd been just a few miles away, when he did it.