View Single Post
Old 04-09-2021, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Its hard to get through an article when its starts out with a glaring inaccuracy. The Live album was a huge disappointment. The band was on a platinum roll and then the live album ruined the streak. You must rewind time and look at all the live albums in the 70s. Peter Frampton made a career and become mega rich over one live album. The Rolling Stones put out countless live albums and they were all successful. Bands made huge bucks on live albums in the 70s.
In 1980, the consensus was the album Tusk was a flop even though it went platinum. It sold only a fraction of its predecessor. Tusk was also a double album. Warner Brothers had a Tusk hangover and begged not to to the Live album.
Having said the facts, IMHO the Live album is one of the greatest albums in Mac history. We have all stated things we love about the album and I could write forever. I love so many performances were recorded when the Mac was a well oiled machine and an animal live.
From a marketing standpoint, Fleetwood Mac made one of the biggest errors in selling albums. Just imagine a live Fleetwood Mac double album released in 1978. OMG, it would have sold 10 million copies. But the band was looking forward and the long Tusk days probably did not want them chasing Rumours limelight. But talk about a missed opportunity for Warner Brothers and the band. Live albums had their peak in the late 70s and the Mac was all over the charts. Having said that, I am glad they waited because so many of the Tusk songs are so good on this album. I cant wait to get my hands on a copy of this reissue.