View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
I'm not a big Eagles fan....though it's possible I'm a bigger fan than I think I am. I've heard all their big hits, but I haven't heard any of their albums. I've maybe heard Hotel California once or twice. But I have heard Long Road Out of Eden a good 5 or 6 times and I really enjoy it. Sure it's got its filler as most double albums do, but there's a lot to like on it.

Oh...I WANTED to hate Long Road Out Of Eden...I really did...but, damn it, I loved it (I don't think there's a "filler tune" on the entire thing)....just like I love ALL the Eagles' studio albums (not nearly as much as Fleetwood Mac, but I occasionally go on these Eagles binges and I end up playing every album all the way through a couple of times each)....I just think they SUCK THE BIG BANANA live. I saw 'em back when Hotel California was being released (of course, why they decided to book Los Angeles for four nights two months BEFORE the album's release, and not come back afterwards, has still got me scratchin' my head) Sure, they sound "just like the record" in concert, but what's the fun in that? (for the artists themselves, much less the audience!!) BOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRINGGGGGGGGG!! Talk about your big ol' yawner concert.

And to toss in my 2 cents on this topic: I don't mind country music...I "drank from the Kool-Aid" back in the '90s and played in a couple of country cover bands. Have to say, I made more money playing country for those 5 years (and played more & BETTER gigs) than I have playing rock or blues in the other 40 years of my musical career combined. (and that INCLUDES touring with a rock band around Western Canada for two years in the '80s opening for the likes of The Guess Who's Burton Cummings on occasion) Problem is, the "country scene" in Southern California dried up quicker than a spilled beer in the Sahara during August. Oh, well...got me back into playing music closer to my soul...The Blues.