View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 07:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Love

1. Blue Denim - One of my fav Stevie solo tunes.

2. My Heart - At first I couldn't get used to the In Your Dreams retake of this song... but after a listen recently, I think it's far superior to the original Trouble In Shangri La outtake.

3. Freedom - I also agree this is underrated. I love the rocking, fast-ish tempo and the angry sentiments on this one.

4. Desert Angel - I've always really liked, but not loved this song. I really dig the quirky music and mystical presentation of this one. I also really like the subject matter of the lyrics- Stevie never goes political. The lyrics are as current today as when they were nearly 30 years ago. So what keeps it out of the love category for me? I'm honestly not entirely sure. Perhaps it's the rather self-indulgent lyrics? Her vacillating between her love of the desert and hatred of this latest desert war is a bit ham fisted in places. Great sentiments... but not quite what it could be I suppose.

5. Kick It - I rather like this one. Comparing being addicted to relationships to being addicted to substances is actually kind of smart to me. I really like the music, too... just stripped down, straight forward rock & roll. This is one of her more underrated songs, IMO.

Eh

6. Whole Lotta Trouble - I agree that it's fun... and I like the uptempo beat and sentiment behind it. Ultimately, it's still fluff to me, though.

7. Ghosts - I view Other Side of the Mirror as a concept album... it's meant to be listened to as a whole continuous work rather than individual songs. Ghosts, like most of the songs on the album, doesn't particularly stand out to me because of that.

8. You Like Me - I had to look this one up. Meh.

9. Greta - I used to really love the funkiness of this song. Over the past several years it's lost it's sheen for me, though. I think it's the flat, lifeless vocals. She just doesn't even sound convinced about the words she's singing.

10. Imperial Hotel - This one doesn't really elicit any emotions in me at all. It's neither good nor bad... it's just there.

Dislike

11. For What It's Worth - To me, this song reminds me of the bad songs on Street Angel. The rather lackluster vocals (especially those dreary double harmonies) don't do it any favors. I'm not huge on the lyrics, either... they are fairly unimaginative in the vain of Cheaper Than Free. Plus, the whole song is glorifying trying to steal her married addiction counselor from his wife. Beautiful Child is another example of a song about an affair with a married man, but it's done in a much more abstract and provocative way. FWIW just comes across as cringe worthy to me.

12. Fire Burning - I agree with others... the lyrics are just awful. I don't think a whole lot of the music, either.

Loathe

13. I Don't Care - This one is pretty terrible. Awful lyrics, awful execution. Again, reminds me of the bad stuff on Street Angel.

Special Question: Should she do any of these with Fleetwood Mac?

The only song that would get a pass from me would be Freedom since it was a FM song to begin with. Blue Denim could be lovely... but does it have a place on a FM stage?