View Single Post
Old 07-30-2022, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Good points. The early 90's are when I began listening to country. I didn't care for Pearl Jam, Nirvana, or grunge in general. So you're right, it wasn't a good time for it's release.
Fleetwood Mac in that post-Tango to pre-Dance time period is so weird. They were just so out of the mainstream. I was only 11 when OOTC was released so much of my knowledge is not exactly first hand from that time. But it’s not like all “legacy” acts were hated. The Stones had a massive resurgence with Steel Wheels in 1989, Petty was absolutely on fire releasing some of his most popular songs, Aerosmith was everywhere, I can never forget Cher in the fishnets on that battleship, a post-Waters Pink Floyd was touring all over the world to massive audiences…and then there’s Fleetwood Mac being about as uncool as possible.

OOTC just had no chance. If he released it sooner, closer to Tango and coming off that momentum, it would have sounded overly 80’s and not been nearly as timeless as it was. If it was released after The Dance there might have been some momentum and exposure but at that point it would have quickly faded into obscurity.