View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Wish I had an answer for you as this something that's always bugged me as well. Maybe I'm too cynical but my only guess is to put it down to being done by marketing people to peek people's interest, like if they see a volume 1 of something of interest then they get excited at the insinuation of other volumes following but also feeling like they are getting in on something early that could be a big fad and therefore be part of "the in crowd". With the Blue Horizon project, I wonder if CBS had a change of heart in terms of how they thought it would sell better in the future (by doing the "Complete BH Sessions" approach by artist and adopting their Sony Legacy thought process. Granted, this doesn't explain why little previously unreleased material outside of the FM CBHS set came out on the other BH artists CBHS sets (which must exist as did the FM master reels, perhaps they just tried harder to find the FM ones). Not to mention that some were not released at all, such as Martha Velez (as part of that series I mean, which would have had better session notes than the Wounded Bird reissue had) and like you had mentioned about the latter day BH recordings, though to be fair, that might have more to do with those recordings possibly being owned by Universal now (since they control the recordings that were released on Polydor, so CBS can't release them)? Just a thought.

John