View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up just in time...

My semi-gut reaction (I’ve listened to the whole album over 10 times, working on #11, maybe 12 as I’m losing the count)…

I’m a huge fan of Under the Skin and I kept hearing how Gift of Screws was Lindsey’s rock album. I was a bit afraid because, for me, the cool thing about putting on a new Lindsey Buckingham record is the anticipation of knowing that he is going to take you on a musical journey full of twists, turns, and surprises. He will challenge you, but reward you with music you won’t find anywhere else. He’s unique – the underrated guitar god that deserves to be on every top guitarist list.. is anyone listening?

My favorite track is Time Precious Time – it just exudes beautiful with its sometimes whispering and often urging lyrics about how precious each and every moment this short life is. And he sings the words against a backdrop of an urgent guitar strum – like clocks ticking ever so quickly…. remember. Brilliant.

My second favorite track is “Underground.” Two of my favorite moments on Gifts are the instrumental that comes after the second round of “I think I might wander Underground..” and then how the song fades out.. with Lindsey’s “uh uh uh..” and his beautiful pickin’…. gorgeous.

“Bel Air Rain” competes with “Underground” as my second favorite track – not only does it have some of the most interesting lyrics, but when he starts to sing “I’ve changed my name” – I don’t know – it just gets to me. Terrific stuff.

Then there are the rockers.. I think “Wait for You” “Love Runs Deeper” and “The Right Place to Fade” deserve a chance to be played on rock radio – catchy melodies, infectious hooks with an edge - guitar gems!

“Long and slender alter in the sky… …we will rise from this treason” From start to finish, I do adore this album. Thank you Lindsey – I needed some fresh new music in my life. Gift of Screws is better than I expected - and I expected a lot!