View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think I find it really hard to compare songs on a good, better, best scale from era to era. It's hard for me to smack Tango up against SYW. They seem like completely different genres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
yeah, and that quote says it all. He was not amused with lindsey's vision on not only the arrangements, But also the soundengineering. Hè was a terriffic MOR technician, so he had hard times under Lindsey's dominance. But it was the only way for LB to get what he wanted. And in hindsight, it's a masterpiece. When Cailliat talks bad about LB, some was probably outside of normal behaviour, But a lot of criticism is fed by the fact that he did not understand him at the time, and not felt acknowledged. That's when you feel held hostage.
Let me jump on one word you used: technician. Stevie said she felt like a hostage during the Tusk recording and Lindsey was the Ayatollah Khomeini and, you know, if members of the BAND felt that Lindsey was taking them in a creative direction that they didn't favor, they had a right to resist and complain. They were the artists.

Ken Caillat wasn't a band member. He was a technician, an engineer, a producer, but ultimately an employee and so I don't really understand the "hostage" allusion coming from him. It wasn't Lindsey's job to mold his work into a Middle of the Road shape that Ken would not find too "grungy."

Michele